Friday, August 28, 2015

Lovely Flower Frame

So, with my daughter telling me how much she hates her room (ugh...) I wanted to make it more exciting, fun, and special for her.  It was bare-ish, so I knew it needed a little pizzazz.  She is an artsy, craftsy, girly little lady, so I knew we had to get creative on how to make this space special.


I wanted a "cost effective" DIY craft that would have a big impact.  I knew this was it!

Supplies Needed:
  • Full Length Mirror (I bought mine from Home Depot for about $5)
  • Small sample size or can of spray paint in your favorite color
  • Faux Flowers
    • I suggest 4-5 styles in coordinating colors and various sizes
    • For reference I used approximately 35 single buds to cover the surface area pictured
  • Painters tape
  • Paper to cover up mirror from paint spills / over spray
  • Hot glue gun with extra glue sticks

I started out with a plain white framed mirror.  I saw this really pretty lavender spray paint and wanted to give it a try.  It was about $4, so I thought this was a perfect project to give it a try and see what I thought of spray painting instead of chalk painting.  So,  I took some paper and covered up / taped the mirror to avoid spills and over spray from the paint.


 I sprayed the mirror with two coats of paint to ensure it was fully covered.  It went on smoothly and covered evenly.  Overall a great result that was quick and easy!  I let it set and dry for 24 hours before I started on the flowers.


I removed the stems and cut down the little nubs from the back of the flowers to create a flatter surface to attach the flowers to the mirror frame.  I started by playing with the layout of the flowers before I began gluing.  It allowed to to mix and match, and ensure I had enough flowers allotted for the top, side, and bottom of the mirror.



Once I glued all of the flowers down, I let it set for about 10 minutes to let the hot glue cool and dry.  The mirror turned out really cute and my daughter loves it!  She loves the purple color and al of the pretty flowers.  I personally love the way it looks too.  Plus it was a simple, fun DIY project that didn't cost an arm and a leg - nor did it leave me with a ton of "left over" materials to store - YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment