Wednesday, August 12, 2015

DIY Framed Art Hangers

 
I love a good DIY project.  I have undertaken the task to update, refresh, and decorate my 5 year old daughter's room.  She has challenged me to "make her room pretty", and I have accepted.  Like most 5 year olds, she loves to draw, make art, and crafts, so I wanted to give her a place (other than the over-filled fridge door) to hang her pictures.  Like the rest of our home, our artwork is surrounded by beautiful frames, so I wanted to offer her the same opportunity. 
 
Supplies needed:
  • Several wood frames 8x10 or larger
  • Paint
  • Paint brush
  • Staple gun
  • Mini clothes pins
  • Steel Wire (or any string / wire  to hang)
 
I started with three old wood frames.  Try to go with 8x10 or larger, to offer enough space to hang a picture.  Also, the more intricate or decorative the better.  Begin by wiping off any dust or debris from the frames to ensure you are working on a clean piece of wood.  As you can see, I placed an old rag / shirt under my work surface to catch any spills or messiness.


As you know, I love the Annie Sloan chalk paint because its easy to use, no prep, and the colors are really pretty.  My daughter's room colors consist of greys, purples, pinks, and light blues and Annie Sloan offers great choices.


Go ahead and begin painting.  Ensure you get all of the little crevasses, sides, and insides that may show.  I used two coats to be sure there was a clean, even coat of paint.  Let them sit until completely dry.  I let mine sit overnight, but with the Annie Sloan that is not necessary.  I wouldn't continue to the next step until your paint is 100% dry!

The next step requires a few more supplies: the staple gun, wire, and clothes pins.

 

First, I measured out the wire and cut it to be about 2" longer than the width of the frame - which ever way you are hanging, landscape or portrait.  I folded one end of the wire and stapled to the back of the frame approximately 1.5" down from the top of the opening. 

Next, take two clothes pins and slide them down the open end.  Repeat with folding the loose wire end and staple to the back of the frame.  Be sure that when you staple down you are pulling the wire taut.  I also went crazy with the staples to ensure they took the beating from a 5 year old who will clip and unclip all day long.




 Finished product!  I made two portrait and one landscape.  I am in the process of painting and hanging a few more on her wall since she loves the frames so much. 



As a side note: I decided to take a few colors from her favorite Cinderella canvas, and paint the frames in coordinating colors.  I hung the frames around the art to create an art space on one of her walls!  Good luck -  any tips or questions?!

No comments:

Post a Comment