Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Coming in 55th

Happy Tuesday.  I am totally slacking on keeping up and updating (I am in the midst of a job change/promotion and move), especially with my fun exciting trail run I need to tell you all about!

So, I signed up last minute for the Rock it Racing O'Neill Regional Park 5k in Trabuco Canyon.  Honestly, I got a flyer on my windshield from the prior Spooky 5k and decided, what the hell, I'll give it a try.  So I signed up and prepped my flat runner for the early Saturday morning run.


I decided to take the Nathan hydration belt because honestly I didn't know what it would be like to run a trail run and with it being a small event I didn't know what to expect.  It always comes in handy, but it wasn't necessary this time.  Also notice the Saucony trail shoes vs my standard road shoe.

I arrived and saw a nice close group of runners gathering around the start area.  We started off on pavement and that quickly changed.



Apparently I find it necessary to stretch.  Especially my calves because they have a tendency to tighten up on me with ALL THE HILLS.


The race offered a 10k and 5k course.  I opt'ed for the 5k run, since this was my first trail event.  It was a good choice :) We started out flat...
And then that quickly changed to a big incline change but it offered the most amazing views of south Orange County. *Side Note: Check out the guy in the Snail's Pace tee.  He's jazzed to be there.






The first 1.5 miles-ish, were almost all completely uphill.  I did a fast hike, since running this wasn't going to happen.  At the half way mark, you headed down hill, and that's where I took the lead in running and putting the work and pace in.



It was a solid mile/ 1.5 mi downhill and flat to the end, which make it a fast and fun run to the finish line.



I had a really fun time getting outdoors, starting off the weekend right and trying something new!  Overall it was a great experience and I really enjoyed it.  I have to say, the incline and course was tough, but it was a great way to slow down a 5k, enjoy the moments and take in the view.  I will definitely be looking into joining Rock it Racing for another trail run (if my schedule allows for it!).  Hope to see you all out there and joining me next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment